Top 10 Nutrition Habits
1. Eat every 2 – 3 hours
- Increases metabolism plus limits fat storage
- Eating more often means less calories at each meal
- Burns more calories when you eat more often
2. Eat protein at every meal
- Helps achieve a high overall level of protein consumption to maintain lean muscle tissue and maximise strength gains
- Its the most THERMOGENIC macro-nutrient – the body has to burn more calories to digest and metabolise it
- Generally the most filling macro-nutrient helping to satisfy hunger and blood sugar hormones so you won’t overeat
3. Eat veges at each meal
- Rich source of carbohydrates, energy, vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants
- 5 serves a day is ecommended so the best way to do that consistently is to get into the habit of eating veges at every meal.
4. Eat Veges and Fruit with any meal, high glycaemic carbs after exercise
- High GI foods such as bread, pasta etc do a good job replenishing muscle fuel stores after exercise but at other times their heavy carbohydrate load results in too much fat storage (carbs that aren’t needed for immediate energy are converted to fat and generally get stored around the midsection)
- All veges and most fruit are Low GI so the carbohydrate they contain are less likely to be converted to stored fat
5. Eat healthy fats daily
- Polyunsaturated fats found in fish, flaxseed, walnuts that contain those omega 3 fatty acids. They create healthier cells.
- Monounsaturated fats found in olive oil, almonds, cashews and peanut butter.
Stay tuned next week for the next 5 Nutrition Habits